The place was known to be the paradise of the deity Tandin (Heyagriva) since the inception of the world. Phajo Drukgom Zhigpo visited the place in the 1184 AD, corresponding to the Wood Male Dragon Year of the 3rd Rabjung and used it as his base for propagation of the Drukpa tradition in Bhutan for the first time. Later, Gyelsey Tenzin Rabgay built a huge monastery in 1789. In 1988 corresponding to the Earth Male Dragon Year in the 17th Rabjung, the Fourth Druk Gyalpo and the 68th Je Khenpo Tenzin Dhendup upgraded the institution to a Buddhist College and later the Buddhist University. Khewang Lekshed Jamtsho became the 1st Uzin (Principal). To this date, 18 classes of monk students have graduated from the university.