- Dechen Phodrang Zhirim Lobdra |
- Gyelposhing Kuenphen Yoesel Choeling Lobdra |
- Phochu Dumra Zhirim Lobdra |
Dechen Phodrang Zhirim Lobdra
Gyalwa Lhanangpa established the monastery in 1224 AD and named the place as Dhongoen Dzong. It was administered by his descendants for many centuries. Then in the 17th century Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal took over the monastery, rebuilt the Dzong in 1641 and named it Thimphu Dechen Phodrang Dzong. It served as the summer residence of the central monastery till Trashichodzong was built in 1761. Later the royal government extended the place and converted it into the main primary school for the HQ of the Central Monk Body. Currently there are over 400 monk students undergoing Zhirim (primary) courses as per the monastic education system.
Gyelposhing Kuenphen Yoesel Choeling Lobdra
The construction of Gyelpoizhing Kuenphen Loseling Zhirim Lobdra started in January 6, 2011 following the decision taken by the Dratshang Koedtshog. His Holiness the 70th Je Khenpo along with the senior members of the Sangha consecrated the Lobdra on July 1, 2014. Later, his Eminence the Tsugla Lopen inaugurated the courses for the Zhirim Lobdra catering for young monks from the six eastern districts.
Phochu Dumra Zhirim Lobdra
The retired Dralop Lekshey Jamtsho, established the Lobdra for the benefit of the monks left behind in Punakha Dzong in the summer when the monk body moves to the summer residence in Thimphu Tashichodzong. Later it was renovated and extended to a Zonal Primary School with support from the Government of India in 2014 in accordance with the decision of the Dratshang Koedtshog (Executive Committee).