Thimphu (Summer Residence)
The 16th Druk Desi Zhidhar and the 13th Je Khenpo Yonten Thaye, built Tashichhodzong, the summer residence of the Zhung Dratshang (HQ of the Central Monk Body) in 1771 after Thimphu Dongoen Dzong was gutted by fire for the second time. The location of the Dzong was also shifted to the present site. In 1961, the Third King, Jigme Dorji Wangchuck renovated and extended the Dzong to the present stature.
The Dzong today houses the Golden Throne of His Majesty the King and several sacred relics including the tooth relic of Buddha Khasapa. His Holiness the late Je Gedun Rinchen’s body who was the 69th Je Khenpo, the sacred statue of Palden Lhamo (Mahakali), Dorji Jigjed (Vajrabhairava), the oldest Thongdrol Chemo (great hanging scroll of liberation on sight) of Guru Padmasambhava and many other sacred relics are enshrined in this Dzong.